Web browsing feature in ChatGPT was introduced on May 12, 2023, exclusively for ChatGPT Plus members. ChatGPT can now access the internet and provide you with answers using the most up-to-date information.
Previously, ChatGPT didn’t have access to the internet and its knowledge was limited to information available until 2021. However, with the introduction of the web browsing feature, ChatGPT now has internet access and its knowledge has been updated. In this article, we will explain how you can use the ChatGPT web browsing feature.
How to enable web browsing in ChatGPT?
To use web browsing feature in ChatGPT, you need to be a ChatGPT Plus subscriber. The ChatGPT Plus subscription is a paid monthly subscription that costs $20.
After becoming a ChatGPT Plus subscriber, you need to activate the web browsing feature from the settings tab. Here’s how you can do it:
- Go to the settings tab on the ChatGPT main page, which you can find on the left menu.
- In the opened window, select the “Beta features” option from the left menu.
- Enable the “Browse with Bing” option.
The “Browse with Bing” option determines when ChatGPT will consult the internet and when it will rely on its own GPT model to answer your questions. When necessary, ChatGPT will utilize the Bing search engine to fetch relevant information.
After enabling browse with Bing option. Follow the steps provided below:
- Go to the main page of ChatGPT.
- In the top menu, you will see options for GPT-3.5 and GPT-4 models. Hover over the GPT-4 model.
- You will be presented with different options to choose from. The default option is usually selected by default. Here, select the “Browse with Beta (Bing)” option.
- After that, whenever you make queries, ChatGPT will consult Bing for relevant searches if it deems necessary.
ChatGPT uses the Bing search engine instead of Google for web browsing feature. Additionally, you can also use the ChatGPT plugin feature within the same window.
How to use Web Browsing with Plugins?
Plus members can also benefit from the plugin feature in addition to the web browsing feature. Plugins allow ChatGPT to leverage the capabilities of external applications, enhancing the ChatGPT experience even further. With plugins, you can perform tasks that ChatGPT wouldn’t normally be able to do. One of these capabilities includes the ability to browse the internet as well.
To activate plugins:
- Start by going to the settings tab and enabling the “ChatGPT plugin” option.
- Then, on the main page, choose the GPT-4 model and select the plugin option for that model.
- You can visit the plugin Web Store and install the plugin you like if you want to use a specific plugin.
Some plugins have the web browsing feature, which allows you to access it. By installing and using a plugin with this feature, you can benefit from web browsing in ChatGPT through plugins.
How to browse web in ChatGPT with Chrome Extension?
Up until now, the methods described were built-in features exclusively available to ChatGPT Plus members. However, if you wish, you can also perform browsing with ChatGPT using various Chrome extensions. The advantage is that you don’t need to be a ChatGPT Plus subscriber to use this method.
When it comes to Chrome extensions, you have many options, but one of the most popular ones is the “WebChatGPT” Chrome extension. It uses Yahoo! search engine. By using this extension, you can enable the web access feature in ChatGPT whenever you want. This allows you to perform internet browsing directly through ChatGPT without needing to switch windows.