ChatGPT has become a widely used artificial intelligence tool that has become a part of many people’s daily lives. Today, we have prepared a comprehensive article to provide you with a broad understanding of what ChatGPT is, how it can be used, who developed it, how it came into existence, its working principles, and what can be achieved with it. After reading this article, you will have a comprehensive understanding of ChatGPT and its capabilities.
What is ChatGPT?
ChatGPT is a natural language processing tool that utilizes Artificial Intelligence technology. It can engage in conversations with you, just like a human, and perform various tasks successfully, ranging from coding to summarizing books. It has quickly gained popularity and been used by millions of people worldwide. In fact, it holds the record for reaching 1 million users in the shortest amount of time.
Who created ChatGPT?
ChatGPT is developed by OpenAI, a company based in Silicon Valley that conducts research and creates products in the field of artificial Intelligence. OpenAI was founded in 2015 as a nonprofit organization but later transitioned to a for-profit entity in 2019. The current CEO of OpenAI is Sam Altman, and the president is Greg Brockman. Prior to ChatGPT, OpenAI has developed numerous other AI tools, including GPT models and the image generator tool called DALL-E.
When was ChatGPT released?
ChatGPT was launched on November 30, 2022. Since its release, it has quickly gained popularity and been used by millions of people. The impact of ChatGPT has been significant, raising awareness about artificial intelligence among individuals and even increasing the valuation of companies working in this field on the stock market.
What does GPT stand for?
ChatGPT stands for Chat Generative Pre-Trained Transformer.
The term Generative refers to the model’s ability to generate new and original text based on the input it receives.
Pre-trained indicates that the model is initially trained on a large dataset containing a wide range of text. This pre-training process helps the model learn grammar, sentence structure, and contextual patterns, enabling it to understand and generate text more effectively.
Transformer is a special structure used in large language models. It help understand and generate text. Transformers are good at recognizing connections between different parts of the text, even when they are far apart. This helps them give better and more relevant answers to questions or prompts. They use special techniques called attention mechanisms to pay attention to important details in the text and provide accurate responses.
Is ChatGPT free?
Yes, you can use ChatGPT for free for now. Currently, there are two versions of ChatGPT available: a free version and a paid version called ChatGPT Plus. When ChatGPT was first released, only the free version was available.
On February 1, 2023, the paid version of ChatGPT, called ChatGPT Plus, was introduced, offering some exclusive features. However, you can still use free version of ChatGPT.
Is ChatGPT safe?
The conversations you have with ChatGPT can be used to train the ChatGPT itself. That’s why it’s important not to share any personal or private information during your conversations with ChatGPT.
It’s important to be aware of the cybersecurity risks associated with ChatGPT, just like with any other application. If ChatGPT or OpenAI were to experience a cyber attack and the attackers were successful, your information could be compromised. This risk applies to all the applications we use, and it’s essential to remember this when using them.
In relation to this, on March 21, 2023, there was a bug in ChatGPT where chat histories disappeared, and users were able to view other users’ chat histories for a brief period. OpenAI later explained that this bug was caused by a third-party application and that they identified and fixed the issue.
Does ChatGPT give wrong answers?
Yes, ChatGPT can provide incorrect answers. Due to the vast amount of training data that ChatGPT has been trained on, it is possible for it to generate responses that are not accurate or correct for the questions you have asked. It’s important to exercise critical thinking and verify the information from reliable sources when using ChatGPT or any AI system. So you should always approach with a caution to the responses of ChatGPT.
Does ChatGPT give everyone the same answer?
No, ChatGPT does not always provide the same response to the same question, nor does it give identical answers to different individuals or even to the same person when asked the same question at different times. The response of ChatGPT can vary based on factors such as the tone of the question, the chat history, and the context. This flexibility allows ChatGPT to adapt its answers or tone based on these factors. Therefore, we cannot say that ChatGPT always gives the exact same answer to the same question.
How does ChatGPT work?
ChatGPT is an advanced tool that uses smart techniques like deep learning, natural language processing (NLP), and neural networks.
It learns from a huge amount of text data to understand language patterns and how words fit together. This training helps ChatGPT generate responses that make sense in a conversation, just like a human would.
During training, ChatGPT studies billions of sentences to learn how words relate to each other. It uses this knowledge to predict the best word to use in a particular situation, making its responses sound natural and coherent.
When ChatGPT makes a mistake and you point it out, it may apologize and correct itself. But it’s not because it learned or understood the mistake. It’s because, in its training, it noticed that apologies often come after being told that it’s wrong.
Therefore, ChatGPT is not a “truth-bot” but rather a language model that generates strings of words to provide what it predicts as the best answer to your question.
How ChatGPT is trained?
Training ChatGPT is like teaching a child to speak and behave but with lots of computers and data. It starts with learning the basics, then gets specialized training, and finally, it keeps learning from its mistakes to get better and better. This process involves three main stages:
1. Generative Pre-Training: This is where ChatGPT learns to generate text. It gets trained on tons of text data from various sources like websites, books, and articles. This helps it understand how to generate text in different styles and contexts. However, at this stage, it’s not tailored for specific tasks yet. It’s good at things like completing sentences or summarizing texts, but it might not be great at specific chatting tasks.
2. Supervised Fine-Tuning (SFT): This stage helps ChatGPT get better at specific tasks. For example, we might want it to get better at chatting about certain topics. So, humans have conversations pretending to be a chatbot and the model learns from these conversations. This stage involves three steps: creating training conversations, creating a training corpus (which is a fancy way of saying we match up conversation history with appropriate responses), and training this data on the base GPT model using a method called Stochastic Gradient Descent (SGD). SGD is like a coach, teaching the model how to improve its performance step by step.
3. Reinforcement Learning through Human Feedback (RLHF): This final stage helps ChatGPT get even better by learning from its mistakes. It’s a bit like training a puppy – the model learns from feedback whether it’s doing a good or a bad job. We use a score (reward function) to measure how well the model is doing. Higher the score, the better it’s performing. The model interacts with humans and tries out different responses. Another human ranks these responses, and the model learns from this. It uses this information to refine its responses in future conversations.
How to use ChatGPT?
To use ChatGPT, you need to have an account. Therefore, create a ChatGPT account first if you don’t have an account. After creating your account, you should log in to ChatGPT.
- Head over to ChatGPT login page
- Enter your credentials to complete signing in process
- Simply enter your prompt in the message box found on the homepage of ChatGPT. This can be about anything
- After you send your message, ChatGPT will respond to your message shortly. At this stage, you have various options. If you liked the response it provided, you can use that response as you wish. You can continue the conversation and ask for a new response if you are not satisfied with the answer. You can also request corrections to any errors in the previous response, or switch to a different topic by writing a different message.
One important point here is that ChatGPT remembers past conversations within the same chat window. This allows you to continue chatting with ChatGPT without having to repeat the same information over and over again.
What is ChatGPT used for?
The range of areas you can use ChatGPT is indeed very broad, just like having a dialogue with a person. Technically, you can seek help from ChatGPT in almost any topic you can think of. Here are some areas where you can use ChatGPT for:
- Summarize a topic.
- Explain a topic.
- Write a text on a topic.
- Change the tone of the text.
- Assign editorial tasks.
- Translate the text into different languages.
- Write code.
- Improve existing code.
- Debug code and find errors.
- Optimize and enhance code.
- Write an Excel formula.
- Provide consultancy on various topics.
- Write literary texts and poems.
- Write a cover letter.
- Prepare a CV.
- Write a petition.
- Create a diet plan or vacation plan.
- Provide investment advice regarding CHP.
- Act as a teacher and provide education.
- Tell funny stories.
How to get better result from ChatGPT?
ChatGPT is an advanced language model developed by OpenAI. It utilizes the powerful GPT-3 and GPT-4 models. If you’re new to using it, you may not be aware of how to maximize its potential. To make the most of ChatGPT and achieve the best results, we suggest following ChatGPT’s best practices. This will help you write better prompts and utilize Chat GPT more effectively.
What is ChatGPT Plus?
ChatGPT Plus is a subscription-based membership system that offers privileged features such as faster response times, increased access availability, and early access to new features. It requires a monthly fee to enjoy these exclusive benefits. You can use the features of the GPT-4 model and the ChatGPT plugins with a ChatGPT Plus membership.